Philip Ruffle BSc BArch RIBA
Phil’s role as the practice’s lead for all architect-based projects requires a high degree of commitment and expertise at a strategic and operational level. Within this role, Phil oversees all architectural schemes undertaken by the practice, whilst also delivering a number of significant projects each year. Phil encourages leadership within his team, and inspires staff members to take on greater responsibility, knowing that they have his full support.
As a seasoned professional, Phil not only ensures that designs are appropriate, but also deliverable at all stages throughout the construction process. With education being a major part of Munday + Cramer’s activities, Phil’s role as a school governor also enables an alternative viewpoint of education-oriented projects adding further value. Additionally, Phil is also an active member of his local RIBA chapter, organising CPD and other events regularly on behalf of members.
Phil joined Munday + Cramer 21 years ago in his first full-time role post-qualification. Since then, he has been responsible not only for some of the practice’s most significant schemes, but also the development of the practice as a whole.
Whilst holding experience within all major sectors, Phil’s core strengths lie in education, healthcare and commercial markets. The range of projects successfully completed are equally diverse, and include new build/extensions, refurbishments, space planning/remodelling.
- Thorpedene Infant School, Southend – Two classbase extension and provision of a new school hall – £300,000
- Thorpedene Infant School, Southend – Nursery extension – £100,000
- The King John School, Thundersley – New build provision of a dedicated Sixth Form block for 500 students – £2,000,000
- The King John School, Thundersley – Re-model and refurbishment of an existing youth centre/hall to create a dedicated humanities block – £1,000,000
- Trinity St. Mary’s CE Primary School, South Woodham Ferrers – New build single storey classbase and external play area to form dedicated Reception class – £170,000
- Dilkes Academy, South Ockendon – Single storey extension to provide additional classbase – £135,000
- Corbets Tey School, Upminster – Two-storey extension providing 4 new classbases for a specialist school for pupils with disabilities – £350,000
- Gable Hall School, Corringham – New entrance area and office accommodation for secondary school – £275,000
- Cedar Hall School, Benfleet – 3 additional classrooms and internal DDA ramp – £270,000
- Cedar Hall School, Benfleet – Science lab and food technology classroom (SEN school) – £170,000
- Great Waltham CE Primary School – Single Storey extension to a primary school located within Great Waltham’s Conservation Area to create a new kitchen. To maintain the requirements of the Conservation Area, the extension was constructed in brick (Flemish Bond) with a mono-pitch roof – £212,500
- James Hornsby School, Basildon – Remodelling of front entrance and reception to improve safeguarding, with space planning to provide a new conference room and admin area – £60,000
- Sutton-at-Hone Primary School, Dartford – Provision of a replacement swimming pool via Sport England Funding – £122,500
- Avenue Primary School, Manor Park, London – Provision of a new 4G MUGA pitch in a densely populated urban region – £270,000
- Elliott Hall Medical Centre, Pinner – Remodelling of existing surgery and administrative facilities to accommodate additional staff following a merger, all to relevant NHS HTMs – £150,000
- Private Residential Client, North Fambridge – Two storey rear extension to a terraced cottage located within a conservation area. Obtained planning and conservation area consent. Extension constructed in timber frame and clad with traditional black timber weather-boarding and timber windows.
- 125 High Street, Maldon – Internal alterations to listed building, obtained listed building consent for alterations, including timber joinery details (1:20) and “conservation style” timber roof lantern.
- Private Residential Client, Chelmsford – New porch to existing listed building, obtained planning and listed building consents, materials matched to existing “terracotta brick” and slate tiles, timber window details (1:5).
- Private Residential Client, Little Baddow – Single storey extension to existing Listed Cottage. Obtained planning / listed building consent for timber frame extension with materials to match existing.
- Private Residential Client, West Street, Coggeshall – Working with contractor, gained planning and conservation area consent to provide a single-storey kitchen extension as well as an extension to the existing porch to a property located within the conservation area, using materials to match existing, timber frame windows, large scale details.
- St. Luke’s Church, Tiptree – Supporting the contractor with construction details to develop an existing permitted design gained by others.
- Queen’s Head Pub, Bradwell – Remodelling of the existing pub to convert in to a new dwelling, as well as the design and development of a series of new-build homes within the grounds. All located within a Conservation Area.
- 138.com, Wardour Street, Soho, London – Space planning, remodelling and project management of the commercial fit-out of 138.com’s first UK Casino – £700,000